Tuesday, April 13, 2010


Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.

-Henry Ford

Hey everyone!

At the beginning of the semester, I felt that CG1413 was going to be yet another typical English lesson. However, a few weeks into the module I felt that it was rather interesting and involved our active participation. This helped me to express my ideas more clearly to my peers as well as my teachers.

Through the various oral presentations I had during the course of this module, I picked up very valuable skills both verbal and non-verbal. Prior to this module, I assumed that I was a good public speaker. However, now I realised that there is much more to being a good presenter than being able to deliver my speech. My nervousness when speaking to a large audience has definitely decreased and I’ve also learnt many ways to keep my audience attentive.

I was involved in 2 different projects related to this module. I learnt a lot from both projects. For the CG1102 project, I was picked to be the leader. At first, I thought that it should be an easy task. However, at the end of the project, I realised that I was not a very effective leader although I had my strengths; there was much room for improvement. My group often faced the problems of not meeting deadlines till the last minute and there was miscommunication among us. I realised that as a leader it should have been my responsibility to make sure my group (inclusive of myself) was getting our work done both on time and efficiently. Also, I should have made an effort to smoothen out any discrepancies among my members at the start. Nevertheless, with these valuable lessons learnt I would definitely make a more effective leader in the future.

As we were assigned our groups, it enabled me to mingle with people who were new to me. Although I felt it was a bit difficult to work with them at the start, I realised this will benefit me later on as I learn to be more culturally sensitive and accommodative. At the end of this module, I felt that this module has met its objectives as it has enabled me to communicate more effectively and taught me the importance of teamwork.

Last but not least, I would like to thank Ms Happy Goh for being a wonderful tutor who never failed to make our lessons entertaining and constructive.

Good luck to all my CG1413 classmates for their final year exams!

Cheers

Preeti

4 comments:

  1. Hi Preeti,

    You are definitely a good speaker to begin with, and I think throughout the many presentations that went on, I felt you became even better.

    I think this module made us reflect a lot, and we get to be more aware of things we do not take note of, such as our speaking style, body language etc. Although this is not the first time we have done presentations but through this module we had placed great emphasis on the process.

    I agree that the random process of selecting groupmates was beneficial, as we get to work with people of diverse background. I see that you have interacted well with your group mates in your programming project. You mentioned that you have learnt to be more cultural sensitive and I think this is extremely important for the fact that in the future we are going to work with more people of different background and this is something we cannot overlook at.

    It's great that you have benefitted from this module and I wish you all the best for the upcoming years.

    Regards,
    Alden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Balaji,

    Like what Alden say, you are definitely a good speaker. Your articulation was very good and you seemed very confident during presentation.

    I guess it's very normal to find it difficult to work with strangers at the start. But I believe once we break the ice, communication will definitely become alot easier.

    I believe that problems of meeting deadlines was inevitable due to the shortage of time. But it was certainly enjoyable and pleasant working with you and from the bottom of my heart, i sincerely felt that you are a capable and effective leader.

    I look forward to working with you in the future and I am confident that we will be able to function more effectively as a team=)

    P.S
    Dear Miss Happy, Preeti knows i wasn't serious that day. It's a unique kind of effective communication. I am not that mean as it appears to be!

    Regards,
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Preeti,

    I agree that this module has indeed taught us a lot. We have picked up many verbal and non-verbal communication skills. It's good that you have highlighted several problems you faced working as a team. But I feel you should've written a little more about your 'strengths' that you have mentioned about in the third paragraph. Or maybe, a little more about what positive changes this module has brought over you.

    I think the picture and the quote are appropriate and on the whole, I find your essay cohesive and nice to read...

    Good luck with everything!

    Krithika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Preeti,

    I totally agree with you about the challenges of being the leader of a team. The leader not only has to take on set a good role model, he/she also has to ensure the work is allocated well for the rest of the team. In this aspect, I felt that I could have divided the work more clearly for my 1413 team, to lighten the work load of everyone.

    On the other hand, I feel that you could have more emphasis on your strengths. I felt that you have done a good job in building strong team spirit in your team. For example, I often see your team staying back after school to work on the 1102 project together. This is not easy feat to arrange, given our heavy workload.

    Although I did not have the chance to team up with you, I feel that your team mates have enjoyed working with you. Hope we can work together in the future modules!

    Good luck for your exam!

    Ying Cong

    ReplyDelete