Monday, March 29, 2010

Reflections on Oral Presentation 2...

On the 25th of March, my team had its oral presentation for the CELC project, reforming Breadth modules. Overall, I felt that we performed rather well and we were all familiar with the content of the slides since we had several rehearsals beforehand. All of us dressed aptly for the presentation and our tone and language used were appropriate. During the Question and Answer session, all of us took turns to answer the queries raised and I felt that we answered them with confidence. The transitions between each speaker were also done well to ensure the smooth flow of the presentation.

I felt that I had performed well for the presentation although there was much room for improvement. Although I maintained proper eye contact with the audience during my presentation, there were times where I looked up at the ceiling when I either forgot my content or became nervous. Also, I felt that I kept looking at the screen often to ensure that I did not miss out on any points. This could have been avoided if I had brought a set of cue cards with the main points written down. At times I felt that I panicked and lost track of what I was presenting. Moreover, the language used during my presentation could have been improved on in order to my speech sound more coherent and professional.

At the beginning I was rather nervous and spoke at slightly faster pace. Later on, I managed to calm down and spoke at a more appropriate pace. Compared to my first oral presentation, I personally felt that I was less fluent and more nervous, probably because of the difference in content for the two presentations. Nevertheless, I maintained my level of confidence throughout my speech which is important for a speaker. Also, I felt that I was familiar with the content of my slides and so I was able to elaborate the points on my own even though they were not reflected on my slides.

Overall, I felt that my presentation could have engaged the audience more and I could have been more fluent in my speech.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Preeti!

    I agree that you were nervous in the beginning of the presentation and you spoke fast. But eventually, you reduced your speed. And one thing you maintained throughout your presentation was your gestures, which is a good thing.

    I suppose looking at the screen often during the presentation is not much of a problem. However, you had a slightly tensed look on your face and you stammered a bit initially. So, when you tried looking at the screen, I somehow had a feeling that you had forgotten something and you were therefore trying to refer to the slides. Had you kept cool all along, I don’t think the number of times you looked at the screen would’ve mattered.

    Also, I understand your point about panicking and forgetting to mention a few things since I forgot to mention some points too! However, I believe, the more we make such presentations, the more we will get used to them.

    Krithika

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Preeti,
    I felt that your group had chosen a good topic in which many of us were in favour of. Personally I felt that you are a good presenter. Your voice was loud and clear and it attracted the audience's attention. You managed to present without any cue cards and it was rather impressive.

    I felt that you were quite nervous but you managed to control the situation well. The only problem was that when you tried looking at the screen, it seemed that you had forgotten something. Sometimes this would be unavoidable but it could be an area to improve on as well.

    I look forward to working with you in the future.

    Regards,
    Alden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Preeti,

    In my honest opinion, I felt that your presentation was very good. No doubt you did speak a little fast at the very beginning, you managed to calm down quickly and you were very fluent and eloquent thereafter. Your speech was not monotonous. Also from the audience perspective, I couldn't tell you were nervous. Well maybe just a little at the start.

    However, perhaps you could cut down on your hand gestures. But overall, you were presentable and confident. Lastly, I believed cue cards are not necessary for you as you seemed clear of what you were saying. Besides you also looked more professional without them.

    Nice presentation!

    Regards,
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Preeti,

    I felt that you have prepared well for your presentation. Although you did not bring cue cards for it, I felt that you were rather calm and confident. Also, I felt that you have maintain sufficient eye contact with the audience, so looking at your slides occasionally was not a problem.

    I also experience nervousness when presenting. Perhaps, you could do more practices in front of a smaller audience, like a few friends, to boost your confidence.

    Good luck for your Oral Defence!

    Regards,
    Ying Cong

    ReplyDelete