Sunday, January 31, 2010

Observation of team behaviour: Intercultural and interpersonal communication

From past experiences I’ve come to realise that it is not always possible to get things our way. Especially in life now or later when deciding whom we are going to work with. We are often put into teams before hand. Especially in Singapore, where it’s likely to work with people from different cultural backgrounds it will be important to be careful with our actions or words.

Cultural diversity would definitely enhance the team’s creativity but in order to be able to work together harmoniously, the team members would need to understand each other’s background. This will help to ensure that none of the team members offend each other even unknowingly. We all have learnt that different actions can mean entirely different things across the world and imagine all these people from different parts of the world working together, wouldn’t it be best to think twice before acting?

This is where interpersonal communication comes into play. When interacting with our team members we have to make sure we get our thoughts across correctly. Body language, tone, gestures even facial expressions may make quick impressions of us. Not only do we have to take note of our language we also have to take into account our physical actions too.

It’s easy to say that it would be best to accommodate to our team members in order to get things moving. However, that’s a lot more difficult to put into action. At some point we might get tired of giving up our principles. In this case, to get the best of everything we would have to willingly to put our differences aside for a while but at the same time not forgetting our own cultural practices and exercise good interpersonal communication skills where we can comprehend each other properly and avoid miss communication.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Preeti,

    I agree that we have to understand each other background in order for a team to work efficiently. The way we communicate, such as the tone and body language will lead to various interpretation. Furthermore if we are working with people from various ethnic groups, we have to be even more mindful as to what words should be used.

    I feel that many often accomodate as well for a team to get moving easily. On a short term basis i think this cooperation will succeed however as in situation where this cooperation among team mates will take a relatively long time, i feel its the duty of the team mates to highlight any sensitive cultural issues/conflicts that arises during discussion.

    Regards,
    Alden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Preeti,

    I agree with you that we have to be careful with our words and actions. This is especially true in Singapore, as we are made up of immigrants from different backgrounds. If we are not tolerant of one another, it might even result in a repeat of the bloody racial riots that happened in the 1960s.

    I also like the way that you relate the principles of effective intercultural communication to your personal experiences.

    Perhaps, you could include some pictures in future to make your blog more interesting.

    Regards,
    Ying Cong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!

    It's true that in life we cannot always choose our team members and when we end up in a team with people of different cultures, we have to be careful about what we say and what we do...

    However, one thing I would like to point out about your post is that you have mentioned that at one point, we might get tired of giving up our principles when we try to be tolerant. What I feel is, trying to be tolerant towards other cultures by itself is a great principle which you will be following if you are trying to move along with people of other cultures. So being easy on your beliefs brings no harm. For example, I am an Indian and having spent a major part of my life in India and Kuwait, I am not used to people consuming alcohol so easily. In India it is almost considered a sin and in Kuwait, it's punishable by law! After coming to Singapore, I find many people of almost my age clubbing and drinking. Once I understand that different cultures view things differently and that what is wrong in one culture may be right in another and vice versa, there is no problem at all... I am being tolerant and I am not giving up on my principles as long as I don't do something like this. But if my principle states that I shouldn't even talk to such a person, then there could be a problem. But such a principle is meaningless... If I am forced to drink I can always refuse politely. So generally, I don't think we are really giving up on principles by being tolerant. This is my opinion...

    And as Ying Cong has said, you could use some pictures... :)

    Krithika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Preeti,

    You have raised many important points such as being careful with words and actions as I have learnt my lesson as mentioned in my blog. I wished I had seen your post earlier! Also, since we do not get to choose our team more often than not, therefore it's wise to learn to adapt by acquiring interpersonal and intercultural skills especially in the context of Singapore. Aother point i agree that many a times, it's easier said than done. We usually think it's inherent in us to be tolerant or sensitive, yet we tend to lose control in the spur of moment.

    Overall, your post has been very informative for me and it will definitely serve as a reminder for me=)

    ReplyDelete